Your librarians are hosting a series of workshops this spring to help you build up your research skills and get to know the library a bit better. Whether you need help getting started with your research or want to upgrade your search skills to the next level, we have a little something for everyone!
Workshops will be offered multiple times throughout the spring semester.
You can also view all workshops and register at this link.
Library Research 101
Learn everything you need to know to get started with Brookens Library. This workshop will provide an introduction to the most highly used library resources and services, including the catalog, library databases, InterLibrary Loan, and research help services. We’ll discuss:
- Navigating the library website to discover library resources and services
- Searching for books in the library catalog
- Selecting the best library databases to search for articles
- Requesting materials from other libraries
Searching the Library Catalog
This workshop will give you an overview of how to search the library catalog so you can find books, articles and other library materials. Topics include:
- Searching the catalog for books, articles and media
- Requesting books that aren’t available at UIS from I-Share libraries
- Accessing your library account
Dates and Times: February 16 at 7pm
Library Resources for Online Students
This workshop provides a review of the essential online tools available from Brookens Library to help students locate the eBooks and articles they need from the comfort of their own home. We’ll discuss:
- Navigating the library website to discover online library resources and services
- eBooks available through library collections
- Accessing and searching for articles in library databases
Getting the Most Out of Google Scholar
Is Google Scholar a favorite in your research strategy? This workshop will teach you how to use advanced features such as search alerts, metrics, and more. Additional topics covered:
- Overview of Google Scholar, what it searches, and how to access articles
- Setting up a Google Scholar profile
- Linking Google Scholar to Brookens Library
- Overview of basic and advanced search strategies
- Understanding the results list and how to manipulate it
Spotting Fake News
Evaluating online content is complex and incredibly important. This workshop will help you to be a savvier searcher. In this workshop you will:
- Learn about fake news and why it exists
- Learn about confirmation bias and filter bubbles
- Learn about tools and criteria for evaluating information on the internet
Finding Articles in Library Databases
Learn how easy it is to get exactly what you need for your research when you use the library’s online databases. We’ll give you an overview of Academic Search Complete and share our best tips for locating scholarly articles and narrowing your search to get more relevant information – a must for anyone doing a research paper.
Managing Citations with Zotero
Learn the ins and outs of citation management with Zotero, a tool to make managing your citations, bibliographies, and reference lists easier, saving you valuable time.
Government Information and Statistics
Sometimes statistics and official government information are precisely what you need. Find out how to access these primary sources to support your argument. This workshop will include:
- Government information in its myriad forms
- Government statistics for every occasion
- Statistical Universe database for nuanced research